1) Choose a race.
2) Choose 0, 1 or 2 traits.
3) Distribute attributes, the number of points are determined by your race, and possibly traits.
4) Calculate Derived Statistics and skills.
5) You start with one perk. Humans also start with a bonus perk.
6) Purchase Equipment. You start with 100 dollars +20/point of charisma. All initial purchases are done at base price (ignore barter rules). If you choose Smithing as your starting perk start out with a suit of armor or weapon at half price, including any mods you may start with on it. If you start out with Chemist or Demolition expert you begin with up to 50 dollars worth of consumables you’d normally be able to craft. For each weapon with ammo you begin with you start with 2 units of ammunition. You also begin with basic clothing appropriate to your character.
7) Background – write your characters background. Give a few personality and physical descriptions if nothing else.